Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Monster Cookies


Four years ago I started my first quarter at the University of Washington, and I lived in Haggett Hall. Worst dorms on campus. Fact, not opinion. Luckily, my roommate was one of my best friends from high school. Even more luckily, my roommate's mom sent her a care package on the first day of school. I'm sure there were a lot of things in that package, but all I remember is chewy cookies filled with oats, chocolate chips, and m&m's, which my roommate kindly shared with me. Four years is a long time to remember a specific cookie, so I thought it would be the perfect thing to bake in celebration of Stephen and I finally moving into our newly purchased condo.


Unlike Haggett Hall, our new condo is beautiful. I love everything about it. But most of all, I love the kitchen. It has a refrigerator with an ice maker in the door (fancy!), plenty of space for all of my bakeware, underlit cabinets, and an island with room for two or three barstools. Having had no time to bake during the last two weeks of packing and moving and working, I couldn't wait to break it in.


Although I didn't actually get this recipe from my roommate's mom, these cookies were exactly what I was hoping for. They are incredibly chewy, the oats, m&m's, and chocolate chips provide the perfect amount of crunch, and two whole cups of peanut butter bring it all together. You should probably make these as soon as possible. And since you'll end up with about 3 dozen cookies, you should send the leftovers to someone who has to live in a horrible dorm room. You have no idea how much they'll appreciate it!


Monster Cookies
Adapted from Piece of Cake

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
5-3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup m&m's

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and oats.

2. In an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer to low speed, and gradually beat in the sugars.

3. Add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar one at a time, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the corn syrup and vanilla, and beat until combined.

4. Add the peanut butter and beat just until smooth. Gradually add the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.

5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and briefly mix by hand using a spoon or spatula to ensure that all ingredients are combined. Fold in chocolate chips and m&m's. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for as long as you can wait. I lasted 3 hours.

6. Preheat the oven to 375˚F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough into balls using a small ice cream scoop, and place them on the cookie sheets about two inches apart.

7. Bake 6-8 minutes, rotate the cookie sheets, then bake another 6-8 minutes or until the cookies just start to brown. Cool the cookies on the pans for 5-10 minutes before transferring to wire racks.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you remembered that!! I make cookies on the first day of school every year. Even this year when I wasn't even in school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're hilarious!!! Can I come see your condo sometime soon??? You can make cookies for the occasion... ;)

    ReplyDelete