Thursday, September 1, 2011

Homemade Oreos


You might as well know that I was one of those kids who liked school. I'll even go as far as to say that I miss it sometimes. Not college--that I am glad to be done with. But I miss high school and elementary school. Even junior high.

My favorite part was always the first day of school. I loved going school supply shopping and organizing everything the minute we got home... even though it was only the first week of August and there was still a month before school started.


School clothes shopping was practically the highlight of my summer, and I usually had my outfit for the first day of school picked out weeks in advance. I remember in second grade the first day of school was delayed because the teachers were on strike. Every morning I would wake up and put on my first day of school dress... only to be crushed when my mom told me that school still wasn't starting.

I'm beginning to think that my love for the first days of school is what led me to believe I wanted to be a teacher. I kinda forgot about the part after September and October when everyone is counting down the days until winter break. And the part after winter break when everyone is counting down the days until summer.


For those of you who don't share my love of going back to school, I offer homemade oreos. They're the kind of thing that makes you forget about having to do homework again. And having to wake up before noon. And having to sit at a desk. Inside. Wearing footwear that isn't made out of rubber.

After my underwhelming experiences with homemade pop tarts and homemade hostess cupcakes, I was a bit skeptical about homemade oreos. And to be honest, they don't taste like the ones you buy at the store.

They are so. much. better. I promise they are worth the extra effort. Because the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.


I learned that in teacher school. We had to take a whole class on clever little sayings.

Homemade Oreos
Adapted from Flour Child

For the cookies:

1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 egg

For the filling:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two to three baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. With the mixer running on low speed, add the butter and mix for about one minute. Add the egg and mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball.

3. Drop rounded teaspoons of batter (1/2 ounce portions by weight) onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about two inches apart. Gently flatten each ball of dough. Bake for 9 minutes. Allow the cookies to set on the baking sheets for about five minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

4. To make the filling: Beat together the butter and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer at medium speed. Reduce the speed to low, and gradually add the powdered sugar. Once the sugar is incorporated, add the vanilla. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for two to three minutes, or until light and fluffy.

5. Pair the cookies according to size and shape as best you can. Spoon the filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. (You could also use a large zipper storage bag with one of the corners snipped off). Pipe about a teaspoon of filling onto one of the cookies in each pair. Top with the other cookie, and press down gently to sandwich the filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment