Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Blossoms

I lovelovelove fall.

I used to think this made me unique. I thought I was the only one who got overly excited about

cold sunny days
the pumpkin patch
leaves on the ground
back to school
pumpkin spice lattes
halloween decorations
pumpkin scented candles
wearing boots, scarves, and mittens
et cetera

Clearly, I was mistaken. As it turns out, everyone loves fall. At this point, I actually cringe on the inside when I hear people say how much they love it because it makes me feel like a cliché.

But secretly... I still think I love it more than you do.

This should explain why I got overly excited when I saw this at Target the other day:


My head almost exploded. And right next to this were all manner of Halloween sprinkles, cake mixes, and cookie cutters, so my head almost exploded again.

The reason I was at Target in the first place was to get these:


Here's what you need to know about Pumpkin Spice Hershey's Kisses: Buy them. As soon as possible. If you hesitate, you will spend the next year haunted by what could have been. Trust me, I know.

I first found out these existed three years ago. It was mid-October, and I spotted a bag of them sitting on my classmate's desk. I had to have them.

The very next day I went to Safeway to buy some, and they were nowhere to be found. Not a problem. I went to Walgreens instead. Huuuge Halloween candy section, right? Yes. But no Pumpkin Spice Hershey's Kisses. After subsequent trips to Rite Aid, Fred Meyer, Target, and even Wal-Mart (shudder)... I realized that I was too late. There weren't any more anywhere.

Ever since then, I don't mess around. I'm on the lookout for these while other people are still using their grills and wearing sunglasses. You have to play to win, people.

So, to recap: Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix. Head exploding. Pumpkin Spice Hershey's Kisses.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

If you're thinking that I really do love fall more than you do, you're right. But that's not what I'm thinking. What I'm thinking is... Pumpkin Spice Blossoms!


Blossoms are typically a peanut butter cookie with a chocolate Hershey's Kiss pressed into the center like this. Or like this, if you use peanut butter cups instead of kisses.

I decided to do the same thing, only with pumpkin cookies and pumpkin kisses! Except I made the cookies way too big, and they look nothing like blossoms. It's the thought that counts, right?

This is the first time I've used a cookie mix in years, and although I'm not going to make a habit of it... I have to say I'm very impressed! These cookies are moist, chewy, and super flavorful. I love that in addition to the pumpkin, the flavor from the spices is also very prominent. Way to go, Betty. I wouldn't change anything about these!

Pumpkin Spice Blossoms

Betty Crocker's Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
Pumpkin Spice Hershey's Kisses

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare the cookie dough according to the directions on the cookie mix package.

2. Drop the dough, one tablespoon at a time, onto ungreased cookie sheets about two inches apart. Bake for 6 minutes. While the cookies are baking, unwrap the Hershey's Kisses.

3. Remove the half-baked cookies from the oven and gently press one kiss into the center of each cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and bake 5-7 minutes longer, or until the edges of the cookies are set. Allow the cookies to cool for about one minute before transferring them to a wire rack.

P.S. I think it goes without saying that neither Betty Crocker nor Hershey's paid me to write about their products. I'm not cool enough for that... yet.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment