Saturday, February 11, 2012

Girl Scout Cookie Recipe Contest: Tagalong-Stuffed Do-Si-Do Brownie Cups


I'm so excited to share this recipe with you!

Yes, because it contains BOTH of my favorite Girl Scout Cookies.
Yes, because it involves brownies.
And yes, because it combines chocolate and peanut butter.

But mostly because it's my entry for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington Food Blogger Contest!

Although this is the first recipe contest I've ever entered, I can't help but think the odds are in my favor. Two different peanut butter cookies incorporated into a brownie cupcake? I almost feel bad for my competition.


Almost.

Just in case the stunning visual above hasn't swayed your allegiance my way, please allow me to describe what it is I've created:

It's a Do-Si-Do crust
topped with a Tagalong
covered in brownie batter
baked in the shape of a cupcake
drizzled with melted peanut butter chips.

In other words? Individual servings of perfection.

If I'm chosen as a finalist on February 16, my friends, family, and adoring fans will be able to vote for my recipe to win the grand prize!

Get excited, people! Big things are happening.

I know you must be dying to get in your kitchen and make these delicious treats, so I'm thrilled to tell you that Girl Scout cookies will be sold to the public from March 2-18! You can use the cookie locator to find out where cookie sales are happening near you, and there's also a free app available for download!

(I suggest you buy a few extra boxes when you go to make this recipe. You know, for taste testing purposes.)

Tagalong-Stuffed Do-Si-Do Brownie Cups

For the crust:
1 box Do-Si-Dos
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
12 Tagalongs

For the brownie:
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons boiling water
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs + 2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt

For the garnish:
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray, line with paper liners, and spray the liners with nonstick spray.

2. Crush the Do-Si-Dos in a food processor, or by placing them in a resealable plastic bag and smashing them with a rolling pin. Transfer the crushed cookies to a medium bowl and pour the melted butter over them. Stir with a rubber spatula until all of the cookie crumbs are moistened.

3. Spoon about 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of cookie crumbs into each cup of the prepared muffin tin. Pack the crumbs into an even layer using the bottom of a small measuring cup. Place one Tagalong cookie on top of each crust.

4. Prepare the brownie batter:
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and boiling water. Add the chopped unsweetened chocolate and whisk until it's melted. Whisk in the melted butter and vegetable oil.
  • To the chocolate mixture, add the eggs, yolks, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Add the sugar, and whisk until completely incorporated.
  • Gently fold in the flour and salt with a rubber spatula, just until combined.
5. Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of brownie batter into each muffin cup. The batter should cover the Tagalong completely, and should fill each cup about 3/4 full.

6. Bake for 22-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the brownie layer comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Cool completely on a wire rack before removing the brownies from the pan.

7. Place the peanut butter chips in a small plastic storage bag and microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until melted. Snip off one corner of the bag and drizzle the melted chips over each brownie cup in a zig-zag motion.

Makes about 12 brownie cups.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. These look amazing, I can't wait to try them. I also can't believe you aren't a finalist, I am not tempted to try any of the 5 recipes they picked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missy :) I'm a little disappointed, but it was still fun to try! At least it inspired me to make these... Let me know if you like them! :)

      Delete